Monday, July 9, 2007

Not Quite The Shopping Mecca


I’m close to the end of this trip and, as always, I’m looking around for things to bring back home with me. The first thing that comes to mind is kittens, we have plenty of them; no one knows for sure but I’m guessing there are over twenty of them on the villa grounds. They might be hard to slide past US Customs and my animal-loving son has enough pets as it is.

There are no tourist shops here in Iraq, which I guess makes sense since Baghdad is not high on The Lonely Planet’s “Must See” list. The few small shops there are sell subsistence items such as soap and potato chips. I found a couple of rug merchants, but I don’t know enough about oriental rugs to make a smart purchase. For all I know they were made in Arkansas.

So what to bring home? My son wants some Iraqi money, but to be honest I’ve never seen any. The good ole fashion green-back is the currency here. I suppose I could take a page out of Angelina Jolie’s book and bring an orphan home, there seem to be plenty of those here.

No comments: