Monday, October 20, 2008

Comedy at Dubai's International Airport

A dust-covered sun. My last day in Baghdad, waiting for the weather to clear.

Dubai's international airport is a collection point for security contractors traveling back to the UK or the States, and as such it's always great fun watching these guys pose for their fellow travelers. The terminal is replete with contractors swaggering around adorned in the latest Gucci tactical clothing, and weaving tales of danger and intrigue while waiting in line to board the plane back to the "Land of the Big PX". Just a five minute, unsolicited conversation with one of these guys and I've heard ever military acronym ever conceived, and some which I think he's making up on the fly. At this point I'm praying that I'm not talking to my future seat-mate for the 15-hour flight ahead of me. I don't think I could tolerate another "There I was, in the shit" story.

3 comments:

Long-time RN said...

Always good to read "currently home in Atlanta" up there in the corner.

Hope you're taking deep breaths in the clean(er) air, and are able to begin restoring balance once again.

Best to you and yours,
Cathy B

Dude said...

This is exactly why I travel with rolling luggage, and in business casual or Euro-trash motif....nothing tactical-ish remotely visible. No one pays any attention, which is just the way I like it.

Best,
b

lunotraining said...

Yep, good to see you're back safe side. I'm telling ya though, if you wanted to hear a metro-tactical measuring contest, you should of been down here post Ike... everything from self-stabilized complete femoral artery lacerations to going to war and dropping bodies on the streets of NOLA. I think I laughed for the entire first week straight... Maybe the Iraqi lying phenomena is contagious... ;) Stay safe.