Salvadorian family walks through the neighborhood
Walking through San Salvador yesterday I was warned about roving gangs of youths that would rob tourists or other unsuspecting, lucrative targets. This is a common practice throughout the world but is easily countered with a few simple actions.
- Find out where the high risk areas are, and avoid them.
- If you have a guide or driver, trust their judgment.
- Don't take valuables with you. Hiding them in what you think are clever areas, i.e., belly or waist pouches is a useless tactic.
- Stay in well-populated areas. Don't get lured off.
- Stay together.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If something doesn't feel right, it's not. Move back to safety.
- If you have a driver, keep the car handy, know where it is.
- Be purposeful in your posture, demeanor, and actions.
- Keep things tucked away; cameras, cell phones, wallets, watches. If it's out there, it'll get taken.