Monday, May 3, 2010

Affirmation

Haitian girl looks back at the camera and smiles.  I've said it before, but the Haitian people surprised me in their beauty, resilience, and spirit.
 
In the Port-au-Prince airport I ordered a Bloody Mary prior to boarding my morning flight back to the States.  The Haitian girl at the restaurant wasn't sure of the exact cost, but thought that it was $6.00.  I paid and contently walked back to my table with a mediocre Bloody Mary in my hands.

Ten minutes later the girl rushed over to my table, some distance away from the bar and apologetically thrust into my hand the $2.00 that she apparently over-charged me for the drink. I immediately gave her the $2.00 and thanked her for her honesty, a small price to pay for the affirmation that she bestowed upon me.

No comments: