The mosque used as the backdrop for both CNN and Fox News' live shots: the most recognized mosque in Baghdad.
It was slow today in the bureau, and a lot of the team spent their time watching the third season of Entourage on DVD. It can be difficult for some people when there's not a lot of newsworthy activity going on. After growing up in a small town in Maine I can always find ways to fill up my time.
Here’s how I spent my day:
- I got to sleep in a bit because I was escorting some of the bureau staff to an event at another news agency last night. We didn’t get in until well after 1:00 a.m.
- Breakfast of arabic bread, known as naan, strawberry jam, and Nescafe.
- Normal security checks and review of last night’s activities
- Morning planning meeting with the security team and review of latest intelligence picture for Baghdad and Iraq.
- Watched some of the US-feed, late night news in the news room
- Ran 6 miles on the treadmill followed by 30 minutes of yoga, then zazen.
- Watched the Moto GP race on TV
- More security checks
- Medical review with some Iraqi contract guards
- Read A Thousand Splendid Suns
- Surfed Internet
- Nightly bureau meeting, followed by security team planning meting
- More zazen
- Free time and bed