Friday, February 22, 2008
So Ya Wanna Be A Cameraman?
I'm in the wonderful position where I get the chance to watch correspondents, producers and cameramen work all day. I have to be honest and say that of the three the cameramen have the coolest jobs. Here are my thoughts on cameramen:
• When going out on an 'embed' with the military the producer and correspondent each have one bag, the cameraman has a bag...and 15 Pelican cases.
• Want to be a cameraman, learn Final Cut Pro. These guys and gals live on it. They know every shortcut key and all of the bells and whistles.
• There are cameramen that are technicians and others that are artists. Rarely will you find one that is both. Each have their value.
• Cameramen are all "gear queers". They love their "Gucci" pouches and bags. They're more attracted to good ballistic nylon than good glass.
• They work the longest hours by far.
• Cameramen love security because they know that while their eye is in the eyepiece that someone is watching their back.
• Cameramen have the best stories.
• The camera is like a rifle to an infantryman. It's never more than an arms-length away.
• All cameramen have a secret stash of bloopers on their MacBook Pros