Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Digg'n Dubai

An empty dhow makes it's way up the Dubai Creek. Vessels like this are loaded down with goods and make their way along the coast.

I spent the morning walking around the city of Dubai, or at least part of it. I walked along the Dubai Creek, which is really a river. I ended up taking an Arab coastal boat known as a dhow from the docks across to the other side, and then attempted to get lost in the city with my camera.

I wandered through some old markets and then to a more modern part of the city. The one thing that really sticks out is that Dubai is filled with Indians, Pakistanis, Sudanese, and various people from the Far East. I made an effort to stop and talk with as many people as I could, and they all appeared to be very friendly and welcoming. They happily let me photograph them and asked questions about where I was from. It was a stark contrast to other Arab countries that I have been. What an absolute fantastic city!

No comments: