Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's Raining... Of Course

Little Iraqi girl stares into the camera. She has known nothing but war and conflict her entire life.

I'm in Dubai for the next day or so on my way back to Atlanta. Driving around the city last night I was struck by how it reminded me of some parts of Miami, albeit everything is much newer. It's as if someone told you to build the city of Miami in only 10 years, but you have unlimited funds to do it. Oh yea, and toss in a handful of ornate mosques and world-class buildings.

Even on a short drive I passed the world's only 6-star hotel, the Burj Al Arab, as well as the earth's tallest building, also under construction but still disappearing into the clouds. There are towering cranes everywhere you look and signs advertising developers, and new building plans. The efforts goes on 24-hours a day. Lamborghinis, Range Rovers, high-end Audis and BMWs cruise along the neon-lit highways, hiding chicly-dressed people heading out for a late night.

I'm planning a trip outside of the city this afternoon; a desert safari to a Bedouin camp for a traditional Arab diner. Of course its raining.

No comments: