Thursday, March 20, 2008

Life's Neccessities

I began to explore Buddhism back in the summer of 2003 when I was seeking something that would bring a bit calm and spirituality to my hectic life. During my search I was recommended Lama Surya Das’ book Awakening The Buddha Within, which deals less about Buddhism and more of finding spirituality in one’s everyday life. Since then the book has remained one of my favorite having reread it many, many times over.

Surya Das offers a list of daily necessities. I used to carry around this list on my Palm Pilot, but it’s pretty well memorized now.

• Pray
• Meditate
• Be aware/ Stay awake
• Bow
• Practice yoga
• Feel
• Chant and sing
• Breathe and smile
• Relax / Enjoy /Laugh / Play
• Create / Envision
• Let go / Forgive / Accept
• Walk / Exercise / Move
• Work / Serve / Contribute
• Listen / Learn / Inquire
• Consider / Reflect
• Cultivate oneself / Enhance competencies
• Cultivate contentment
• Cultivate flexibility
• Cultivate friendship and collaboration
• Open up / Expand / Include
• Lighten up
• Dream
• Celebrate and appreciate
• Give thanks
• Evolve
• Love
• Share / Give / Receive
• Walk softly / Live gently
• Expand / Radiate / Dissolve
• Simplify
• Surrender / Trust
• Be born anew

No comments: